I haven't made these in the last couple of years since I changed my diet but this year I decided to try making gluten free ones using raw coconut crystals instead of refined sugar for the sweetener. This is the first time I've used coconut sugar but I've been reading a lot about it. The crystals are made from the sap of a coconut tree and is very low glycemic and contains 17 amino acids. I used Coconut Secret brand that I found at PCC. They are certified organic and non-GMO. The crystals are dark brown, about the color of brown sugar and actually tastes similar to brown sugar. The dark specks you see in the cookies are from the crystals.
I followed a recipe I found on landolakes.com but substituted the coconut crystals for the refined sugar 1:1 in the recipe. My first attempt at pressing out cookies was a big disaster. The shape didn't hold at all and was left with a sticky glob of dough on the sheet pan. I didn't give up though. I added more flour to the batter and also refrigerated the dough for about 45 minutes to firm it up. Tried again and it worked out pretty well.
If you've never had spritz cookies before, they are similar to shortbread. They're kind of dry and crunchy and should be eaten with a big glass of milk!
Recipe: Gluten Free Spritz Cookies
Yield: approximately 50 cookies
Total time: 90 minutes
2/3 Cup Raw Coconut Sugar Crystals
1 Cup butter, softened
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 Cup gluten free flour
Gluten Free Flour Mix:
2 Cups brown rice flour
2/3 Cup potato starch
1/3 Cup tapioca flour
1 tsp xanthan gum
1. Combine crystals, butter, egg, salt and vanilla in mixing bowl and beat at medium speed until creamy.
2. Add gluten free flour (use your own or use mix above) to bowl and beat until well mixed
3. Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
5. Fill cookie press with dough and desired template. Press dough 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. If dough does not form a shape, refrigerate longer and/or add more flour to the dough.
6. Bake 7 minutes or until edges are lightly browned
7. Enjoy cookies with a glass of milk.