|Spaghetti Squash Tart|
Spaghetti squash is a good alternative to pumpkin. It has a similar flavor but a little more mild and with pumpkin spices added to it you would hardly be able to tell the difference.
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup almond flour
1/4 cup millet flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" pieces
1 egg slightly beaten
1-2 tbsp ice water
- Pulse first 5 ingredients in food processor until combined. Add butter and pulse until butter is pea sized. Combine egg with 1 tbsp of ice water. Add the egg mixture to flour mixture and pulse until dough comes together. Add more water if needed.
- Transfer dough to work surface and knead two times. Form a ball and flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove from refrigerator and divide dough in half. Place one half back in fridge until ready to use. One half should make a large tart crust or 3 small tart crusts. Sprinkle brown rice flour on both sides of dough and roll between two sheets of wax paper until 1/8" thick.
- Remove wax paper and place on top of tart pan, gently patting the dough into the pan and removing excess dough from the sides.
- Bake in preheated oven for approximately 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack until filling is ready.
Spaghetti Squash Filling
2 cups spaghetti squash, cooked (see below)
1/4 cup melted butter
2 tbsp melted unrefined coconut oil
4 whole eggs
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg, or to taste
1 tsp ground cinnamon, or to taste
1/8 tsp ground clove, or to taste
1/4 tsp ground stevia leaf, or to taste
- To cook spaghetti squash, cut in half, remove seeds and membrane with a spoon. Put cut side down on a cookie sheet and bake at 350°F for 45-60 minutes. squash should be tender when poked with a fork. Let cool and shred out inside of squash with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put all ingredients in a blender or food processor, and blend until thoroughly mixed.
- Add to prepared pie crust.
- Put it in the preheated oven, and bake it for 30-40 minutes, or until it doesn't jiggle when you reach in and shake it. Let cool on wire rack.
Author: Paula Thomas